Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Media Relations Manager
at Alzheimer's Association
Under the direction of the Director of Communications - Texas, the Media Relations Manager is responsible for the strategic positioning of the Alzheimer’s Association brand throughout the state of Texas and for the overall media relations strategy on a variety of levels: major press/media, community/trade press, advocacy, development, and other relevant topics.
A wide degree of professional skill & creativity is expected. It is critical that this individual is a self-starter, problem-solver, strong writer and creative thinker. This person must be able to work in a fast-paced, complex, multi-faceted environment both independently and in a team environment with consistent feedback from various departments. The ability to multi-task yet still meet critical deadlines is a must.
The Media Relations Manager’s primary objective is to increase awareness and understanding of what the Alzheimer’s Association does in Texas to several key target audiences: media outlets, donors, volunteers, caregivers, elected officials and the community in general.
* Develop an annual media relations strategic program to ensure the success of a robust communications program that includes press/media placement advocacy development, , and community outreach
* Act as the Association’s representative with the media for specific chapter. Work collaboratively with internal and external partners, clients, and the media.
* Ensure that chapter executives and other staff, as well as volunteers and key community members are provided opportunities to speak on behalf of the Alzheimer’s Association with local media outlets, in trade journals, or other media specific to their own areas of expertise
* Coach and assist staff and volunteer spokespersons on messaging as they prepare for interviews or other media opportunities
* Research external editorial opportunities (nationwide, statewide, local) to position the Alzheimer’s Association as a thought leader on issues relating to dementia, Alzheimer’s research, and other timely topics
* Work with Public Policy staff on advocacy issues (national, statewide, and local) with intent to customize them for the Texas market and present our own media outreach and community involvement related to those issues
* Traditional and social media contact development and management (reporters, editors, producers, etc.); create and maintain robust media list
* Develop press releases, media advisories and other outreach efforts to engage traditional and online outlets to greater interaction
* Prioritize stories to ensure the best leverage of timely articles versus feature reporting
* Best use of repurposing features for other outlets (Web, newsletter, blog, etc.)
* Lead the effort to produce the optimal number of story placements by creating story ideas from internal and outside sources and managing content/outreach using traditional and social media venues
* Cultivate better contacts with media representatives, building content for press releases, media advisories, and helping to coordinate content on social media
* Prioritize the communications calendar to ensure that the timeliest stories are handled immediately while features are developed to be most effective in the media marketplace
* Develop a speakers’ bureau of trained volunteers, Ambassadors, researchers, and staff that can speak on behalf of the Alzheimer’s Association and represent the organization at national, regional, and community events
* Assist in the procurement and management of media buy to support achievement of marketing and communications goals and fundraising objectives.
* Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations or related field
* Three to five years’ relevant experience preferably in non-profit or public service
* Advanced knowledge of AP style
* Must love pitching stories
* Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
* Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and Adobe Creative
* Working knowledge of most prominent social media platforms
* Ability to work under pressure of a deadline and maintain promised deliverables
* Experience working with cross-functional teams to achieve a common goal
* Organized and extremely detail-oriented
* Outgoing, energetic and positive team player
* Strong creative ability to brainstorm ideas individually and collectively with a team
* Successful problem-solving skills and ability to be resourceful
* Ability to travel across the region as needed
* Ability and to work occasional evenings and weekends as required for the job
* *Fluency in Spanish preferred but not required