Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at American Leather
- 26-Apr-2019 to 25-Aug-2019 (CST)
- Dallas, TX, USA
- Full Time
American Leather is an award-winning furniture manufacturer located in Dallas, TX. Since 1990, we have expertly crafted custom-upholstered, premium leather and fabric furniture, and delivered high-quality, made-to-order luxury to our retailers in around three weeks or less a delivery standard approximately three times faster than the industry average. From a small four-person shop, the company has grown into a thriving industry leader, with over 130 different collections sold in over 650 stores, including Room and Board, Crate and Barrel, Macy's, Design Within Reach, and Relax the Back. While delivering exceptional style, craftsmanship and quality in record time is our top priority. We are located in Southwest Dallas near I-20 and Mountain Creek Parkway. Doing the right thing is not just a company catchphrase; it's the way we do business. It's our belief in "people first" that guides many of our operational decisions. It's our standard of excellence in product design, construction, and delivery. It's our habit of giving back and going above and beyond wherever and whenever we can. It's this commitment to quality in everything we do that has propelled American Leather to the cutting edge of the industry and will continue to drive our success.
Under the direction of the Sewing Supervisor, Lead and Trainer, the Sewer is responsible for attaching or binding pieces of fabric or leather using an industrial/commercial sewing machine. The sewer operates his/her machine in a production environment and adheres to all established safety guidelines. Sewers are required to work a full work week and be flexible to work overtime as required.
SINGLE and DOUBLE NEEDLE SEWING
- Sews precut fabric or leather according to sewing diagram.
- Single needle and topstitch sewing as required.
- Sew welt cord or tubing as required by style.
- Reads traveler for correct law label, thread and zipper color.
- Uses zipper machine as required by style.
- Skives the leather with the leather skiver as needed per style.
- Changes needles on the machine to match the type of cover they are using.
- Adjusts their seam allowance according to traveler instructions on the cover material.
- Changes thread and bobbins according to traveler instructions on the cover material.
- Adjusts tension as needed.
- Reports any problems or issues to supervisor.
- Inspects the quality of their own work.
- Trains with a product development representative on new styles (Betas) and reports.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Ability to read and interpret sewing diagrams
- Manual dexterity
- Visual acuity
- Ability to operate sewing machine including threading and replacing the thread on the machine
- Ability to lift sewing totes up to 50lbs.
- The ability to use hand, eye and foot coordination to operate a sewing machine
- Skill in replacing threads and bobbins on the sewing machine
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Sits for 8 hours per day or more as needed
- Occasional bending and stooping (less than two hours per day)
- Grasping and pushing (8 hours per day)
- Wrist flexion/extension (8 hours per day)
- Occasional lifting up to 50lbs