Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sewers (leather/fabric) Future Opportunities
at American Leather
- 22-Feb-2019 to 23-Apr-2020 (CST)
- Dallas, TX, USA
- Full Time
In 1990, American Leather was founded on the revolutionary idea that custom leather furniture could be made and shipped in three weeks or less. In the 26 years since, American Leather has evolved from setting a precedent with that quick-ship delivery to setting the standards by which all other custom furniture manufacturers are measured.
While impressive, our growth can't be measured merely by headcount and the size of our factory. It is measured by our innovation, technological advances and performance. It is measured by the dynamic collections we introduce each year. It is measured by our commitment to and the loyalty of our customers. And finally, it is measured by our resolve to do the right thing: maintaining U.S. manufacturing jobs and enhancing the quality of life of our employees even as the industry continues to turn to offshore manufacturing.
Located in Southwest Dallas on Mountain Creek Parkway and Interstate 20, American Leather is proud to offer a diverse and positive work environment, a comprehensive benefits package, which includes health and dental insurance, 401K plan, a bonus incentive and an entrepreneurial culture that promotes and rewards excellence, and an on on-site wellness center.
Under the leadership of the Lead and Supervisor, the sewer is responsible for attaching or binding two pieces of fabric or leather using an industrial/commercial sewing machine. The sewer operates his/her machine in a production environment and adheres to all established safety guidelines. We are seeking sewers who can work forty hours per week and have flexibility for overtime (some Saturdays) as needed.
Single and Double Needle Sewing
- Sews precut fabric or leather according to sewing diagram.
- Single needle and top stitch sewing as required.
- Sew welt cord or tubing as required by style.
- Reads traveler for correct law label, thread and zipper color.
- Uses zipper machine as required by style.
- Skives the leather with the leather skiver as needed per style.
- Changes needles on the machine to match the type of cover they are using.
- Adjusts their seam allowance according to the cover material.
- Changes thread and bobbins according to the cover material.
- Adjusts tension as needed.
- Reports any problems or issues to supervisor.
- Inspects the quality of his/her work and the work of others as required.
- Trains with a product development representative on new styles (Betas) and reports.
- May on occasion train other sewers on the new styles when they are released to production.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Ability to read and interpret sewing diagrams
- Manual dexterity
- Visual acuity
- Ability to operate sewing machine including threading and replacing machine with thread
- Ability to lift sewing totes 10lbs.-25lbs.
- The ability to use hand, eye and foot coordination to operate a sewing machine
- Skill in replacing threads and bobbins on sewing machine
- Sits for 8 hours per day or more as needed
- Occasional bending and stooping (less than two hours per day)
- Grasping and pushing (8 hours per day)
- Wrist flexion/extension (8 hours per day)
- Occasional lifting (10-25lbs.)