City of Coppell
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Life Safety Park Intern - Fire Department
at City of Coppell
- Basic Function
Under the direction of the Life Safety Park Manager, the intern will help plan, coordinate, and implement Life Safety Park programs, classes, and events, primarily consisting of educating the public on life safety topics. The Life Safety Park Intern will also help assist with other functions performed by the Life Safety Park and other areas needed in the Fire Department, including Emergency Management. The Life Safety Park Intern will be supervised by a Texas State Board Certified Educator. The intern position is part time with no benefits.
Specific Job Functions
- Procure and organize materials for upcoming events, programs, and classes
- Plan, promote, and execute upcoming events, including set-up and tear-down
- Market events and offer input into educational projects, classes, and lessons
- Maintain, monitor, and make daily posts on social media sites
- Prepare engaging lesson plans and related documents for safety education
- Implement educational programs to inform students and public on general life safety and proper response to emergency
- Complete daily and monthly reports and maintain records for Life Safety Park
- Attend seminars, conferences, workshops, classes, lectures, etc. to enhance and maintain knowledge of trends and developments in the field of life safety education
- Attend association and professional meetings, and otherwise maintain contacts with safety education professionals to facilitate exchange of information
- Update safety education teaching resources, such as PowerPoint presentations, props, instructional methods, and testing materials.
- Update internal Employee Resource Guides (ERGs), and external Teacher Resource Guides (TRGs) for use in implementing Life Safety Park curriculum.
- Expand and streamline the use of social media platforms to advertise Life Safety Park programs and engage visitors.
- Essential Job Functions
- Prepare education materials and presentations using various software
- Research and prepare grant proposals for available government funding for various new and continuing programs and projects
- Complete reports and maintain records for the Life Safety Park Division and possibly other divisions of the Fire Department
- Maintain and operate Life Safety Park equipment
- Attend seminars, conferences, workshops, classes, lectures, etc. to enhance and maintain knowledge of trends and developments in the field of safety education
- Attend association and professional meetings, and otherwise maintain contacts with safety educators to facilitate exchange of information
- City of Coppell Core Competencies
Knowledge and ability to correctly apply professional/specialized expertise; skillfully manage information; properly use tools, equipment and technology; effectively allocate resources; proactively identify and resolve issues; consistently make sound decisions; correctly execute policy processes and procedures; strictly adhere to/enforce safety polices; consistently produce quality results; proactively plan and organize; consistently provide exceptional customer service.
Motivation of Self & Others: We demonstrate a core desire to serve the Public and the Organization through our commitment, passion, initiative and drive.
Leadership of Self: We motivate, inspire and influence ourselves to strive towards excellence by being positive, accountable, a team player and influential in goal achievement.
Service -Oriented: We behave in a friendly and professional manner centering on a desire to address the needs of internal and external customers while respecting their rights and dignity by being people-oriented, helpful, understanding and compassionate.
Trustworthy: We earn the confidence of others by demonstrating both the character and the competence to fulfill our obligations with both integrity and honesty along with ethical, credible behavior.
Relational: We establish trust, cooperation, mutual respect and support with an objective to improve relationships by valuing diversity and being diplomatic/tactful, cooperative, empathetic, broadminded, flexible, respectful and compassionate/caring.
Communication: We exchange information and ideas in a manner which results in mutually supported decisions for the greater good by sharing thoughts & feelings, and through assertiveness, empathic listening, conflict resolution and deliberating/debating.
Emotional Maturity: We demonstrate the ability to manage and monitor our emotions and to assess the emotional state of others by understanding stress management, balance and consistency.
Development of Self: We are committed to improving our knowledge, skills, personal qualifications and performance through self-development.
Organizational Awareness: We are aware of the Organization's structure and culture for how we do business by understanding departmental impact on organization, interdepartmental relations and organizational culture
Global Awareness: We stay informed of issues and trends that may impact the Organization by understanding media/public relations.
Community Awareness: We have a sense of the community's culture and its impact on service delivery by understanding purpose of service, citizen/stakeholder expectations and branding.
Innovation: We successfully implement ideas that improve and/or add value to service delivery through creative thinking, continuous improvement and by being quality minded and a change agent.
Critical Thinking: We actively and skillfully conceptualize, apply, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate information to reach a sound answer or conclusion by understanding issue/problem identification, analysis, consequences, and by balancing decision factors.
Visioning: We understand the future direction of the Organization and understand the efforts and processes needed to achieve it by following the mission/values.
- Minimum Requirements
Employee must be at least 18 years or older and have a high school diploma or GED equivalent. This person must be currently enrolled in a college or university and seeking a school dictated internship in Education, Fire Science, Fire Protection, Emergency Management, Public Administration, Business Administration or a closely related field. Some previous fire education/operations knowledge/experience is preferred, but not required.
- Excellent oral and written communications
- Knowledge of proper/professional business grammar, spelling and usage
- Must be detailed and accurate with data input
- Work effectively in a multi-tasking and deadline driven environment
- Ability to quickly learn office operations and procedures
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 software suite
- Be customer service oriented
- Comfortable around children and teaching safety material
- Proficient in social media marketing; Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snap Chat, Prezi
- Ability to work flexible schedule with some evenings and weekends required
- Performs other related work as required
In order to successfully perform the daily tasks of this position, the employee needs to be able to: lift and carry various objects and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds for a distance up to 10 feet; exert a pull/push force up to 25 pounds; and employ various static and dynamic postures such as standing, walking, forward and overhead reaching, handling (gripping & grasping), fingering, turning, talking, hearing, near and far acuity, depth perception, peripheral and color vision, sitting, squatting, kneeling, bending, stooping, twisting, balancing, climbing ladder/stairs, and bending. This position consists of indoor/outdoor requirements. Employee will occasionally work in extreme weather conditions, such as heat, humidity, and rain.