City of Dallas Government
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Airfield Maintenance Technician II
at City of Dallas Government
- Position Purpose
- Airfield Maintenance Technician IIThe substance of positions in this classification requires the performance of low-skilled and semi-skilled strenuous labor duties that may involve but not limited maintenance and repair of airport grounds and facilities; operating tractors, mowers, and other lawn equipment; and trims landscape for maintaining public facilities.
- Essential Functions
1. Follows general oral or written instructions or simple drawings and designs requiring manual skill, work experience or training and independently completes routine assignments from an immediate supervisor.
2. Completes numerous tasks having several steps or procedures and selects the appropriate type of equipment for each job.
3. Completed work may be checked by supervisor.
4. Operates simple to complex power tools, large landscaping equipment, and vehicles to transport equipment to job site.
5. Follows proper safety procedures to avoid serious or severe injuries.
6. Loads and unloads tools, construction material and equipment onto to trucks and maintains an inventory of supplies.
7. Performs preventative maintenance and repairs on simple to complex tools and equipment.
Performs Depending on Location:
1. Performs field maintenance on airport facilities by cleaning, mowing, edging, trimming and repairing runways, taxiways, entrance roads, and access roads; operates complex equipment such as forklift, painting machines, front-end loader, sealer pot, router machine, concrete saw, and backhoe; operates sweeper to clean runways, taxiways, ramps and surrounding areas; inspects and repairs signs on taxiways, runways, service roads, streets and the terminal building; communicates with operations and control tower by radio when working in the aircraft operating area; paints runways, taxiways, and parking areas; and, assists electricians with excavation to maintain electrical fixtures in operating conditions.
2. Performs a variety of duties such as yard maintenance, preventive maintenance on machinery and equipment, or cleaning and repair of equipment to ensure proper maintenance of equipment and facilities;
3. Operates highly complex and specialized tractor-operated mowers on city property;
Working Conditions & Hazards: - Requires extensive walking, carrying, dragging, holding, pulling, pushing, lifting, kneeling, bending, twisting body, walking, reaching, and squatting; may be required to lift up to 100 pounds. - Major activities are performed outdoors on level, slippery, sloping, unstable and uneven terrain. - May be exposed to extreme cold, heat, heights, temperature swings, constant noise, mechanical and electrical hazards, fumes, odors, toxic chemicals (pesticides or herbicides), dust and mites.
- Minimum Qualifications
***HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA/GED IS NOT REQUIRED***
Education claimed on the application will be verified. Any falsified educational credentials will result in a denial for new hires and/or promotions.
***CERTIFICAC?ON DE NIVEL PREPARATORIA / GED NO SE REQUIRE***
Educación reivindicada en la solicitud será verificada. Las credenciales educativas falsificados darán lugar a una negación en el empleo para los nuevos empleados y /o promociones.
Must have at least an eighth-grade education and the ability to understand and follow specific oral and written instructions. At least two (2) years of general construction experience may be required. All applicants must have a valid Texas driver's license (Class A or B CDL, or Class C, depending on the position). Driver positions require certification under the City Driver's Safety Program within the first six (6) months of employment Per Federal Aviation Administration Advisory Circular 150/5210-20, the selected candidate must be able to demonstrate a functional knowledge of the English language. Must pass FAA and Transportation Security Administration background investigations. Drug/alcohol testing and physical may be required.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- May require knowledge of custodial, carpentry, plumbing, painting, mechanics, landscaping, and specialized equipment.
- Ability to follow drawings/designs/instructions from a supervisor, which has several steps, procedures or routines.
- Ability to perform a variety of moderate to heavy physical labor for extended periods.
- Ability to lift and work with heavy equipment.
- Knowledge, use, care of hand and power tools, such as jackhammer, cement mixer, and power auger.
- Knowledge of surface preparation/adaptability of various surface materials.
- Knowledge of standard colors, configuration, and placement of lane markings and traffic signs.
- May require State of Texas Class "A" or "B" or "C" CDL.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with other employees and the public.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by personnel assigned to this classification and is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.