City of Dallas Government
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
City Council Liaison
at City of Dallas Government
- Position Purpose
Provides policy, outreach, and communications support on behalf of the City Manager's Office for a Dallas City Councilmember in his or her role as the representative to the district, and as a member of the Council.
- Essential Functions
- Develops and analyzes policies, including but not limited to preparing summaries, conducting research and identifying supporting data and metrics for the Councilmember.
- Develops and monitors the budget for Councilmember's officeholder account; monitors expenses and activities and submits reports to Mayor/Council Office to ensure operations are within State and City guidelines.
- Prepares speeches and talking facts, and other informational material as needed for Council member.
- Briefs the Councilmember on all community and media issues relating to the district, and ensures the council member is abreast of items on all committee meeting agendas, council briefings, and council agendas.
- Executes the implementation of projects initiated by the Councilmember.
- Develops district messaging in coordination with the Councilmember through newsletters, email, and social media to ensure district constituents are routinely informed. Act as a liaison between the council member and members of the press, responding to media inquiries efficiently and appropriately.
- Serves as a mediator and link between the Councilmember and the City Manager's Office, city departments, citizens, and outside organizations to ensure clear and open lines of communication.
- Attends community meetings and ceremonial functions to make presentations on behalf of the Councilmember.
- Represents the Councilmember on service organizations and boards of directors.
- Prepares Council committee agendas in collaboration with the Councilmember and City Manager's Office and works with peer departments on the agenda process and posting.
- Plans meetings, events and outreach activities including town hall meetings, neighborhood meetings, and special events.
- Performs communications functions, including but not limited to, coordinating with the Public Affairs Office on media response, and social media content as needed.
- Reviews all written correspondence on behalf of the Councilmember.
- Oversees the application and submission process of the Councilmember's board and commission nominations.
- Aids in constituent service as needed by researching, answering questions and complaints, and making referrals to the appropriate department.
- Performs other duties as assigned and in collaboration with the Council Assistant. Subject to working after hours and weekends.
- Minimum Qualifications
Requires Bachelor's degree or the equivalent of four years of college education in business management, public administration, or any related field.
Requires Public Service experience.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- High profile position requires effective oral and written communication skills to assist citizens and City officials.
- Must have MS Word/Excel or similar software skills. For some positions, Spanish/English bilingual skills are a plus.
- Knowledge of correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Knowledge of City structure and standard procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally including excellent telephone etiquette and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to use office machines such as a typewriter, microcomputer, copier, and fax machine.
- Ability to prepare routine correspondence and reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with all levels of management, city officials, vendors, other government agencies, other employees and the general public.