City of Dallas Government
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of Dallas Government
- Position Purpose
Performs a variety of low-skilled and unskilled strenuous labor assisting in the cleaning, maintenance and repair of streets, storm drains, sewer lines; maintenance and repair of airport grounds and facilities; construction and maintenance of water/wastewater mains; cleaning water meters; operating tractors, mowers, and other lawn equipment; maintaining public facilities, lakes, zoo, aquarium and park grounds; and, collects garbage/brush and trims landscape.
- Essential Functions
1. Assists in setting forms, mixing and pouring concrete, spreading and laying asphalt or spreading crack seal for the maintenance and repair of sidewalks, curbs and gutters or streets.
2. Assists in laying various pipes for storm or sanitary sewers, drains or water mains to ensure proper flow is maintained.
3. Loads and unloads tools, construction material and equipment onto trucks to ensure necessary tools are available for repairs to be made.
4. Operates air/jack hammer to break out old concrete or asphalt when making repairs.
5. Flags traffic, sets out barricades, cones or other safety devices to help ensure the safety of the crew and the public.
6. Digs ditches and trenches grading to specific evaluation; trims, shovels, cuts, and cleans up debris and removes vegetation.
7. Assists in cleaning drainage ditches, inlets, storm drains and sewer lines using various power operated equipment to remove debris or stoppage.
8. Drives dump truck, tractor driven mowers or other equipment to transport tools, equipment, supplies or material to and from the work site.
9. Performs preventive maintenance on equipment to ensure proper operating conditions.
10. Cuts grass, removes litter and weeds, cleans floors and facility grounds to maintain upkeep of facility, street medians, and vacant lots removing any hazards and ensuring safety of tenants.
Working Conditions & Hazards:
- Requires extensive walking, carrying, dragging, holding, pulling, pushing, lifting, kneeling, bending, twisting body, walking, reaching, and squatting; may be required to lift up to 100 pounds.
- Major activities are performed on level, slippery, sloping, unstable and uneven terrain.
- Major activities are performed outdoors.
- May be exposed to extreme cold, heat, heights, temperature swings, constant noise, mechanical and electrical hazards, fumes, odors, toxic chemicals (pesticides or herbicides), dust and mites.
- Minimum Qualifications
Must have a least an eight-grade education and the ability to understand and follow specific oral and written instructions. At least one (1) year of general construction experience may be required. Depending on position, a Texas Class C or Class B (CDL) license may be required. Driver positions require certification under the City Driver's Safety Program within the first six (6) months of employment. Drug/alcohol testing and physical may be required.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- May require knowledge of carpentry, plumbing, painting, mechanics, landscaping, and specialized equipment.
- May require knowledge, use, and care of hand and power tools, such as jackhammer, cement mixer, and power auger.
- May require knowledge of surface preparation/adaptability of various surface materials.
- May require standard colors, configuration, and placement of lane markings and traffic signs.
- May require knowledge of water meter cleaning.
-Ability to follow specific or general oral and written instructions on basic routines from a supervisor or crew leader.
- Ability to perform a variety of moderate to heavy physical labor for extended periods.
- Ability to lift and work with heavy equipment.
-Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with other employees and the public.
- May require a valid Texas Class "A" or "B" or "C" CDL license.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by personnel assigned to this classification and is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.