City of Dallas Government
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Library Manager (Non-Civil Service)
at City of Dallas Government
Pay: $50000 to $86581/year
$50000 - $86581
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 1896408
Categories: Management - Mid-Level (Manager, Director)
Overall Job Objective
- Position Purpose
- Provides supervisory assistance to branch and division librarians in the management of the day-to-day operation of the library according to established guidelines and procedures; provides services to all categories of users through outreach, programming, reader's advisory, and materials selection.
- Essential Functions
- Accumulates and disseminates selection information for newly published materials to ensure timely and efficient ordering.
- Monitors, directs, supervises and trains staff in proper procedures used in retrieving and processing material requests and in the use of the library's computer system.
- Supervises the receipt and payment of orders placed for serials.
- Develops, designs, selects and evaluates material collection for readers advisory and to devise appropriate library programming to better serve the community; determines which books should be withdrawn or replaced; selects and evaluates gifts to be added to collection in order to maintain and provide the public with a wide variety of informational resources.
- Coordinates scheduling of meeting rooms and classes by neighborhood groups, organizations, GED/ESL classes, computer classes, literacy tutoring, etc. to avoid conflict.
- Develops and coordinates service desk schedule and work schedule to provide adequate coverage to meet the needs of the public.
- Keeps abreast of system wide developments through briefing, meetings and workshops to maintain increased direction and opportunities for professional growth in the field.
- Regular, reliable and punctual attendance is an essential function of the job.
- Minimum Qualifications
Experience (must include all of the following):
- Masters in Library Science, 2 years library experience or 2 years of supervisory experience or;
- Bachelor's Degree, combination to total 4-5 years of experience in libraries and supervision (at least 2 years must be in libraries)
- One (1) year of supervisory experience.
- Some positions require availability to work various shifts including some nights and weekends.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of Library policies and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of principles of personnel and library management.
- Knowledge of reference material in specified subject area.
- Knowledge of library operations.
- Knowledge of research techniques.
- Knowledge of computer usage.
- Ability to direct and train others.
- Ability to give detail instructions and to coordinate and assign work schedules.
- Ability to adapt to any type of situations.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with all levels of management, city officials, vendors, other government agencies, other employees, and the general public.
- Skill in written and oral communication.
- Must have Masters of Library Science.
Working Conditions and Hazards:
- Requires frequent walking and bending.
- May be required to work nights and/or weekends.