City of Denton
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Camp Counselor - Afterschool Action Site
at City of Denton
Pay: up to $12/hour
$12 - $
Job Status: Seasonal
Job Reference #: 2512851
Categories: Non-Profit/Social Services, Healthcare - Therapy/Rehab Services, Education - Support Staff
Overall Job Objective
- Job Description
- Assists in creating, organizing and instructing a recreation program for youth for our after school program, including arts and crafts, homework time, physical activities, and special interest activities for afterschool and other holiday/school closure days. Also includes assisting with various programs and special events on evenings and weekends.
- Essential Functions
- Plans, organizes, and implements various recreational activities for kindergarten through 5th grade children
- Leads, supervises, and conducts classes, recreational activities, and special events
- Follow appropriate training and lead small group activities in an atmosphere where students are actively engaged in meaningful learning and recreational experiences.
- Maintain a clean and orderly environment for children
- Assist in maintaining the materials and equipment.
- Assist in the enforcement of program rules.
- Provide tutorial services as needed.
- Communicate effectively with the staff members, children, parents, administrators and other contact persons using tact and good judgment.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding school/workplace matters.
- Ensure adherence to good safety standards and COD Standards of Care
- Demonstrate initiative in the performance of assigned responsibilities.
- Model and maintain high ethical standards.
- Keep supervisor informed of potential problems or unusual events.
- Respond to inquiries and concerns in a timely manner.
- Must be able to properly supervise children and respond immediately in case of an emergency, including administering first aid as necessary
- Assists Site Supervisor in maintaining, records, standards of care, weekly reports, and monthly reports
- Assists in control of equipment and supplies, maintains records as requested
- Maintains discipline and injury records as necessary
- Enforces all sites regulations
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Minimum Qualifications
- Must be 18 years or older
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to form and maintain effective relationships with coworkers and customers
- Ability to maintain regular and punctual attendance and proper dress rules
- Ability to assist in developing, coordinating, and directing varied activities involved in an after school program
- Knowledge of a variety of recreational activities and the ability to convey knowledge into an organized activity
- Knowledge of First Aid and CPR procedures
- Some knowledge of childhood development and lesson planning for children
- Basic skills in performing and instruction such activities as arts and crafts, sports, games, and creative dramatics, etc
- Ability to maintain discipline
- Ability to prepare and maintain reports as required
- Ability to communicate effectively with children and parents
- Ability to motivate children
- Ability to work under stress and handle stressful situations
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Conditions of Employment
- Must have a valid Class "C" Driver's License and valid state required minimum automobile liability insurance prior to employment (must obtain Texas Class "C" driver's license and state required minimum automobile liability insurance within 30 days of hire per state law)
- Must pass a drug test, driver's license check, criminal history background check, and social security number verification check
- Must pass a medical physical examination
- Must be able to obtain Defensive Driving certificate within 60 days of employment (if required to drive City vehicle or personal vehicle for City business)
- Must be able to obtain American Red Cross or American Heart Association Adult and Pediatric CPR/AED and First Aid Certification within 60 days of employment
- Must be available to work Monday thru Friday from 2:45 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. and for holiday and spring break camps, teacher in-service days, and other special events and programs as needed on evenings and weekends
- Position will be approximately 16-20 hours per week for the Afterschool Program and additional hours for programs, camps, and Special Events held during daytime, evenings, and on weekends
- Must be able to work the entire school year thru May 2020
- Completion of one (1) year college or equivalent experience
- Three months of experience planning, coordinating, and implementing, education/related programs for school age groups
- Education or coursework related to recreation, education, or child psychology