City of Denton
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Marketing and Outreach Coordinator - Graphic Design
at City of Denton
Pay: $49612 to $65984.5/year
$49612 - $65984.5
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2474731
Overall Job Objective
- Job Description
- APPLICANTS SHOULD SUBMIT A WORK SAMPLE WITH THEIR RESUME
Responsible for developing graphic design and media, communications, public information, and marketing projects for City departments, including production and development of print and digital media as well as attending public meetings and special events, in manner that promotes a positive and consistent image of the City, that is in line with the goals and values of the City of Denton goals and objectives and the City's strategic plan.
- Essential Functions
- Serves as communications, marketing, and public information, and outreach consultant for City departments
- Serves as project lead on assigned departmental communications projects and campaigns
- Assists with design development and creation of print and digital communications such as calendars, brochures, posters, fliers, and advertisements within production deadlines
- Researches, plans, writes, edits, and proofreads copy for official City communications, including both internal and external communications
- Writes engaging and informative copy for press releases and newsletters, and other advertising, informational, and instructional pieces with considerable professional skill and meeting City organizational standards for writing, style, and grammar
- Coordinates and assists with creating public education and marketing plans and materials for the City departments, working with departmental staff to ensure delivery of effective educational, informational, and/or instructional pieces
- Creates and implements production schedule for multi-media public information campaigns within budget
- Assists departments in developing up-to-date website information, text, and graphics for departmental webpages Designs, orders, and maintains inventory levels of education and promotional products within budget
- Attends classes, workshops, and meetings to keep up with current trends and opportunities in public information, communication, marketing, and public education
- Represents the City of Denton in various professional organizations, and external or internal committees as assigned
- Assists departments/divisions with budget development for marketing and outreach programs
- Researches expenditures, writes marketing bid specifications, writes purchase orders, and verifies purchase receipts
- Communicates effectively to diverse audiences and seeks creative and up-to-date methods for reaching all potential populations affected by City programs
- Exhibits leadership, initiative, and creativity in execution of individual projects and building partnerships with team members, external contacts, and internal departments to support integrated public education and marketing communications efforts
- Displays an ability to maintain regular and punctual attendance and consistent ability to meet deadlines
- Maintains professional appearance, as indicated by the various situations or events that include interaction with the public and other city departments
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Work nights or weekends for special events and engagements, as needed
- Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, English, or related field
- One to three years of related experience in graphic design, communications, marketing, and/or public outreach field with extensive written and verbal communication
- Associates Degree with 2 to four years of related experience in graphic design, communications, marketing, and/or public outreach field with extensive written and verbal communication
- Any combination of related education, experience, certifications and licenses that will result in a candidate successfully performing the essential functions of the job
- Proficient in the use of the Adobe Creative Suite, including Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop
- Proficient in written content development, creative writing, editing, and proofreading
- Proficient skill in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of basic layout, publishing, photography, social media, and social marketing applications
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, with strong presentation skills
- Ability to form and maintain effective relationships with coworkers and customers
- Ability to maintain regular and punctual attendance
- Ability to perform all job duties in a manner that is consistent with the City of Denton's mission to be a leader among cities in delivering outstanding quality services and products through citizen involvement, innovation and efficient use of resources
- Organizes ideas clearly.
- Speaks logically so others can follow the reasoning.
- Uses appropriate grammar and vocabulary that do not detract from credibility.
- Listens attentively to people's ideas and concerns and paraphrases to ensure understanding.
- Communicates effectively both in writing and in oral communication; the ability to express oneself clearly in business writing.
- Builds successful, collaborative, genial, and trusting relationships that contribute to personal effectiveness and the effectiveness of the work team.
- Establishes good internal and external customer relations and can come to workable solutions to service challenges by using the Consultation, Adaptation, and Mobilization (CAM) model.
- Perceives political relationships within the organization or with customers and demonstrates sensitivity to situations or language while integrating that knowledge in approaching problems and resolving conflict.
- Uses initiative to take empowered action to solve routine problems within policy guidelines and seeks creative solutions for non-routine challenges.
- Effectively handles several problems or tasks at once and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Thinks beyond the immediate issue to look at root cause of behavior/issue.
- Uses good judgment in sharing information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Resolves a problem in a systematic, step-by-step way.
- Uses past experiences to quickly evaluate situations where information may be incomplete or unclear.
- Anticipates the implications and consequences of situations and takes appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies.
- Identifies the information needed to clarify a situation, seeks that information from appropriate sources, and uses skillful questioning to draw out the information, when others are reluctant to disclose it.
- Conditions of Employment
- Must have a valid Class "C" Driver's License prior to employment
- Must pass a drug test, driver's license check, and criminal history background check
- Must be able to work outside of regular business hours as required
- Bilingual in Spanish and English