CITY OF GARLAND TEXAS
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Street Design Technician
at CITY OF GARLAND TEXAS
- Job ID
- # of Openings Remaining
- Job Family
- Technical Services
- Target Hiring Range
- Depending on Qualifications
- Regular Full-Time
Responsible for providing professional survey services, downloading, confirming data transfer, and drafting paving plans in AutoCAD software for the Street Department Design Supervisor’s final approval. Also, responsible for providing a set of drawings and data sheets for the survey, excavation, and in-house construction crews as well as outside paving contractors.
Essential Job Functions
- Download topographic surveys into AutoCAD and review the work submitted by the Engineering Sr. Survey Technician and assigned crew.
- Perform analysis of all field data submitted by the Engineering Sr. Survey Technician in addition to researching plats, as built-plans, aerial/digital photographs, city base and tax maps, deed documents, survey notes, cross sections and any other data relevant to the project.
- Determine the right-of-way and configuration of pavement improvements.
- Compile data into files of existing and proposed horizontal and vertical grades for all facilities on assigned projects.
- Evaluate the existing utility network for conflicts with the new proposed grading plan.
- Record non-computer field data in notebooks or worksheets.
- Maintain and secure records provided by the city, county, state or federal governments.
- Prepare and deliver working drawings/construction plans, maps, details, and cut sheets for the survey, excavation and construction crews for the Street Design Supervisor’s final approval.
- Troubleshoot and manage individual engineering assignments and provide technical assistance to the Street Design Supervisor and Street Construction Administrator.
- Interact and communicate with various individuals and groups including consultants, engineers, other departments, the general public, sales representatives, subordinates, co-workers and supervisors.
- Operate, utilize and oversee the security and maintenance of various equipment and tools.
- Respond to weather events and emergencies including the ability to work shift schedules when required.
- Attend all required training and safety meetings.
- Provide field support in the absence of the Survey Technician II, working with the two Survey Technicians I to meet the ongoing daily operating demands of the survey team.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
?3 years related experience
?2 years in a leadership or supervisory role
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Preferred Knowledge - Abilities & Skills
- 5-8 years’ experience in construction plan coordination, and/or contractor/developer construction projects
- 3-5 years in a leadership or supervisory role in public works construction, maintenance and/or construction inspection with progressing levels of responsibility
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of sound engineering principals as used by the city, state and federal construction regulation
- Comprehensive knowledge of AutoCAD, Tripod and GXS Electronic Data Collector software
- Knowledge of City of Garland Standard Construction Details
- Skill in utilizing Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
Licenses & Certifications
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
Work Environment Safety