City of Grand Prairie
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Streets High School Intern
at City of Grand Prairie
- Job Summary
This is a vocational training level position in our Streets Division. Under close supervision and mentorship of professional staff; undertakes one or more assigned activities and/or projects of fixed duration requiring a basic degree of knowledge and skill within a defined area of administrative or technical specialty. Duties may vary based on assignment and location of work within the Streets Division.
This internship will be working during the Summer of 2019
- Essential Job Functions
- Performs routine duties to assist crews in completing assignments and work orders. This includes clean-up and maintenance for work zone and equipment by cleaning and maintaining tools and equipment, and ensuring all work is to code; and cleaning work site, and performing preventative maintenance by inspecting and performing required maintenance and repairs of all equipment used. Installing traffic cones and barricades as necessary for work zone, and assisting with controlling traffic.
- Participate in working with small street patching crews in completing work orders by sealing cracks in streets; operating moderate construction equipment; shoveling and raking asphalt and dirt; completing sweep and tack repairs; operating a pavement breaker clearing drainage ditches; repairing guard rails.
- Perform regular storm drain maintenance and emergency storm work. Repair storm drains, catch basins, and storm drain pipes. Inspect ditches, drainage areas and roadside shoulders for removal of weeds and application of herbicides. Removes debris caused from extreme weather conditions by clearing debris such as fallen trees; cleaning inlets, curbs, and gutters of debris.
- Participate in concrete work such as curb, gutter, and sidewalk repair, clearing concrete channels of tree limbs and other debris.
- Install traffic signs and pavement markings. Perform traffic signal maintenance activities.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Intern must be at least 17 years of age and currently enrolled in a Grand Prairie High School.
- This position is for Summer 2019
- No experience required; Texas driver's license is preferred.
- Knowledge of computers and/or GIS is a plus