Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Test Automation Engineer
at Globe Life
Reporting to the IT Quality Assurance Test Manager, this position has the potential to be assigned to one or more high-priority, enterprise-level development projects for web-based, mobile and/or client/server applications used by internal customers and/or the company’s field agent workforce.
The primary goal of the Test Automation Engineer will be to help our department build up a strong suite of automated test scripts to perform regression and smoke testing on both our critical Customer-facing and Business-facing applications. This role will require someone with the experience to help drive and champion test automation processes throughout our team, as well as, throughout the organization. We are looking for someone who has a combination of the strong technical capacity needed to develop these test scripts with the strategic vision needed to drive processes and advocate for automated testing.
- Oversees and/or participates in the planning, development and implementation of 1+ test automation efforts.
- Engages with QA testing peers, as well as, other organizational stakeholders to understand test automation goals and requirements.
- Evaluates systems and/or applications and determines candidates for test automation.
- Participates in requirements reviews and test planning meetings.
- Participates in test risk analysis and test automation estimates.
- Designs and implements test automation frameworks/scripts using associated organizational tools and technologies.
- Ensures that projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Consistently communicates test automation activities and results to both the QA testing team, as well as, project team and IT management.
- Supports handoff of test automation scripts to the QA testing team and/or the Development team(s) once each project has completed.
- Displays general aptitude around Continuous Integration/Continuous Development practices by creating and executing scripts, as well as, reporting results.
- Maintains a strong knowledge base of industry standards, trends, and developments.
- Demonstrates flexibility in learning new products and technologies quickly, as well as, the versatility to move across platforms and/or applications as needed.
- Instructs QA and other organizational team members (i.e. Development, Business Analysis, Business users, etc.) on test automation techniques, methods and value-add propositions.
- Continuously updates automated test scripts throughout development, QA, and UAT.
- Provides for test automation metric reporting.
- Records time accurately in organizational time-tracking tool to assist with capacity/demand planning.
- Identifies, communicates and implements service improvement opportunities.
- Understands the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) and its various phases. This includes: Requirements Gathering, Design, Development, Testing (QA/UAT), Production Readiness, Post-Production Monitoring.
- Understands the Quality Assurance and Quality Control phases of the Software Testing Lifecycle (STLC). This includes: Test Planning (Requirements Analysis, Devise Test Strategies, Provide Estimates), Test Design (Create/Review Test Plan(s), Create/Review Test Cases, Identify/Create Test Data), Test Execution (Execute Test Cases, Create/Triage Bugs, Status Reporting, Provide Requirements Traceability), UAT Support and Production implementation support.
- Understands IT Quality Assurance testing terms and methodologies (e.g. White Box vs. Grey Box vs. Black Box testing, Integration vs. System testing, Regression testing, etc…)
- Has experience working in a Traditional (Waterfall) and/or Agile (Scrum) environment.
- Experience designing and/or utilizing test automation frameworks for web, client, and/or mobile applications.
- Experience utilizing open-source test automation tools (i.e. Selenium) with familiarity in other proprietary tools (ex. Ranorex, UFT, etc.).
- Experience with object-oriented concepts and design.
- Experience defining Page Object Models (POMs).
- Experience creating object repositories and identifying dynamic element xPaths.
- Knowledge of web protocols and services (i.e. HTTPS, TCP/IP, WSDL, SOAP/REST services, etc.).
- Knowledge of data-interchange formats (i.e. JSON, XML, etc.).
- Proficient in 1+ programming languages (i.e. C#/.Net, Java, SQL (Microsoft, Oracle), etc.).
- Proficient in understanding different data-binding techniques using variables and/or parameters.
- Experience with source control processes using integrated development environments (i.e. Team Foundation Server, Eclipse, etc.).
- Experience implementing test scripts within a Continuous Integration and/or Delivery pipeline within Test, Staging and Production environments (i.e. Hyper-V, Jenkins, etc.).
- Experience with test management tools (i.e. Microsoft Test Manager, HP ALM, Jira, etc.).
- Experience with database management tools (Microsoft SQL Server Mgmt. Studio, Oracle SQL Developer, etc.).
- Experience with API/Web Service testing tools (i.e. SoapUI, Postman, etc.).
- Experience with ETL/Data Warehousing tools (Informatica Power Center, SQL Server Integration Services, etc.).
- Proficient with Microsoft Project, Microsoft Visio, and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to present technical information to all audience levels.
- Exhibits critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently or in a group setting and meet deadlines.
Ability to organize and present information in a training setting.