Core & Main
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Water Treatment Plant Estimator
at Core & Main
- Job ID
- Job Post Category
- Remote Position?
- Position Type
About Core & Main
Core & Main (www.coreandmain.com) is one of North America’s largest distributors of water, sewer, storm, fusible piping and fire protection infrastructure products that serves the needs of both contractors and municipalities in all aspects of the water, wastewater, clean water, landfill, energy, and fire protection industries. Core & Main operates more than 246 branches serving North America, the Caribbean and international markets. The company provides localized, customer-driven services including jobsite delivery, will call or direct-ship options, diversified logistics and innovative solutions that contribute to its customers' success.
Job Description & Qualifications
Responsible for completing detailed and itemized material quantity estimates from owner or contractor furnished plan sets.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities and Key Accountabilities
- Researches plans and specifications and identifies any special material or construction requirements and determines the general scope of work. Determines if company supplied material meet local/state/federal specifications.
- Determines accurate and detailed quantities of products and related specialty materials as measured from construction plan sets. Accurately identifies the type of material necessary for construction of facilities.
- Communicates with material vendor and accurately determines availability and delivery times for specialty products.
- Communicates with design engineer or owner to clarify any unusual or special material issues via phone, e-mail or written Requests for Information (RFI).
- Meets with owners/engineers/architects to assist with or suggest specific design/build concepts. Meets with local engineering design teams to recommend value engineering options for bid projects.
- Actively works with sales team to design successful bid strategies. Assists in bid preparation and insures customers receive quotations in a timely manner. Tracks and monitors competitor pricing to determine market value of bids.
- Coordinates and reviews work of other estimators or sales staff as a senior employee.
- Conducts continuing education training and mentoring of other sales and estimating staff on a regular basis.
Nature and Scope
- Identifies key barriers/core problems and applies problem solving skills in order to deal creatively with complex situations. Troubleshoots and resolves complex problems. Makes decisions under conditions of uncertainty, sometimes with incomplete information, that produce effective end results.
- Independently performs assignments with instruction limited to results expected. Determines and develops approach to solutions. Receives technical guidance only on unusual or complex problems or issues.
- May oversee the completion of projects and assignments, including planning, assigning, monitoring and reviewing progress and accuracy of work, evaluating results, etc. Contributes to employees professional development but does not have hiring or firing authority.
- Requires intermittent periods during which continuous physical exertion is required, such as walking, standing, stooping, climbing, lifting and maneuvering material or equipment, some of which may be heavy or awkward.
- Usually in a comfortable environment but with regular exposure to factors causing moderate physical discomfort from such things as dust, fumes or odors.
- Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
- Must be eighteen years of age
- Must pass the Drug Test
- Must pass the Background Check
- Must pass pre-employment tests if applicable
Education and Experience
- Typically requires BS/BA in related discipline. Generally 5-8 years of experience in related field; certification is required in some areas OR MS/MA and generally 3-5 years of experience in related field. Certification is required in some areas.
Preferred Qualifications & Job Specific Details
- 5 years prior experience specific to bid preparation, sales or construction.
- Bachelors degree in an engineering discipline.