North Texas Food Bank
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Social Services Assistance Coordinator
at North Texas Food Bank
- 06-Nov-2018 to 05-Jan-2019 (CST)
- Plano, TX, USA
- Full Time
primary purpose: The Social Services Assistance Coordinator works with state and local food stamp agencies, advocates, employers, community and faith-based organizations, and others to reach out to eligible low-income people who are not currently participating in SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) or need to recertify for food assistance. This position shares information about the economic and nutrition benefits of SNAP (food stamps) to help others make an informed decision. This position performs and participates in complex and administrative-related functions to ensure assigned department operations flow smoothly.
principal duties and responsibilities:
- Identifies and develops avenues for distribution of materials on the SNAP program designed to educate low-income people about the benefits; encourages enrollment in the HHSC (Health and Human Services Commission) programs.
- Communicates eligibility requirements to potentially eligible households.
- Understands and utilizes all processes related to SNAP.
- Strives to increase participation in SNAP by identifying collaborative opportunities and fostering partnerships between network members and local community organizations, lawmakers, businesses, USDA, and other stakeholder groups actively engaged and/or interested in food stamp education.
- Ensures that monthly enrollment goals are met based on grant requirements and NTFB expectations.
- Interviews clients, completes required paperwork and distributes Lone Star Cards under grant requirements after HHSC staff training.
- Accepts and returns phone calls to the departments in a timely manner.
- Collects follow-up information to document outcomes of application assistance.
- Sends SNAP applications to designated HHSC offices.
- Maintains files with required documentation and updates database for monthly reporting.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in social work, governmental affairs, political science or sociology preferred. Two to three years' experience in program coordination and volunteer experience will be considered. Proficient in MS Office. Committed to the organizational mission of ending hunger. Bilingual candidates in Spanish and English preferred. Must be able to lift a minimum of 25 lbs.