Red Oak Independent School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Red Oak Independent School District
Openings as of 3/25/2019
- Transportation Mechanic JobID: 1077
- Position Type:
- Date Posted:
- Closing Date:
Job Title: Mechanic Wage/Hour Status: Nonexempt
Reports to: Transportation Coordinator Pay Grade: MT - 4
Dept: Transportation Date Revised: 11/2011
Perform minor mechanical repairs to ensure proper performance and safety of district vehicles. Work on projects assigned, follow established procedures.
Ability to diagnose mechanical problems and perform repairs with general supervision
Ability to operate equipment and tools involved in vehicle repair
Ability to lift heavy equipment and vehicle parts
Ability to pass alcohol and drug test
Ability to pass required bus driver safety training
Acceptable driving record
Ability to operate bus
Two years experience as mechanic
Must have diesel experience
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Maintenance and Repairs
1. Use diagnostic equipment to evaluate mechanical problems in vehicles.
2. Perform minor mechanical repairs.
3. Help lead mechanic complete major repairs.
4. Do welding and minor body work.
5. Service vehicles according to established preventive maintenance schedule. Rotate and balance tires; change oil and filters; lubricate vehicle parts; inspect and replace hoses, belts, mirrors, lamps; and maintain all fluid levels.
6. Maintain accurate, updated records of preventive maintenance.
7. Inspect vehicles and evaluate condition of systems, equipment, accessories, and lights; service as needed.
8. Demonstrate process of preventive maintenance and visual inspections to mechanic helpers.
9. Perform preventive maintenance; including bleeding of air tanks, on shop equipment according to established schedules.
10. Operate tools, equipment, and machinery according to prescribed safety procedures.
11. Follow established safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties including lifting, climbing, etc.
12. Correct unsafe conditions in work area and report any conditions that are not correctable to supervisor immediately.
13. Help keep shop, equipment, and tools in safe operating condition.
14. Maintain accurate records of time and materials required to perform repairs and service.
15. Operate buses and other vehicles as needed.
16. Work irregular hours as needed.
17. Other job duties as assigned.
Customer Care Skills
1. Provide professional communication with students, parents, community members, staff, and other professionals at all times.
2. Use proper phone etiquette at all times, speaking slowly and clearly. Take reliable messages, and route to the appropriate staff.
3. Ensure superior customer care skills are used via eye contact, facial expressions, voice inflections, body language, and an attitude of "going the extra mile" for others.
4. Ensure all requests for information are dealt with in an appropriate timeframe.
5. Create and maintain a welcoming, service-oriented environment toward all internal and external customers.
Automotive diagnostic equipment, wheel balancing equipment, tire repairing equipment, small hand tools, drill, drill press, grinder, air-powered tools, welding torch, torque wrench, jack and lift equipment. School bus and district vehicles.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Moderate walking, standing, climbing, heavy lifting, carrying, stooping, bending, kneeling, and reaching. Work outside and inside, around moving objects, vehicles, and machinery with moving parts. Exposure to dampness and humidity, toxic chemicals, exhaust fumes, gasoline, and diesel fuel.