Texas Christian University
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Texas Christian University
The Payroll Manager is responsible for managing the payroll services and system for oversight of all payroll processing, payroll tax reporting and reconciliation. The Payroll Manager is also responsible for researching and resolving all payroll issues including corrective actions and ensuring adherence and compliance to applicable laws, payroll polices and tax regulations. This position is required to serve as the liaison to auditors and other external agencies.
Duties and Essential Job Functions:
- Oversees all TCU payroll processes and controls, which includes exempt, non-exempt, and student employees according to defined schedules and processes.
- Provides direct supervision and guidance to payroll staff members in the development, implementation, and maintenance of payroll operations according to established policies.
- Acts as an advisor to unit to meet schedules and resolve issues.
- Reviews payroll registers for accuracy prior to distribution and oversees the audit, reconciliation, and resolution of discrepancies of transactions.
- Oversees payroll administration to ensure optimal efficiency and maintains high standards of customer service.
- Maintains current knowledge of laws, codes, rules, regulations and pending legislations related to payroll functions. Administers new payroll processes, utilizing industry best practices in order to achieve consistency and standardization.
- Participates in efforts on the roll-out of payroll operational practices and process improvements.
- Coordinates the creation of a variety of complex payroll related reports as mandated by county office, state, and federal regulations.
- Serves as a consultant to departments to resolves issues by providing direction on TCU policies and procedures; identifying compliance issues; coordinating issues with appropriate resources to help identify a successful conclusion.
- Maintains payroll records in compliance with internal guidelines and external regulations; reviews, interprets and administers state and IRS payroll laws and regulations; develops and maintains payroll audit guidelines.
- Provides training and process updates to the payroll and tax compliance positions to ensure cross-training and payroll processing coverage.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field.
- 5 plus years of payroll experience.
- 2 plus years of experience managing a payroll department, can run concurrent.
Preferred Licensure/Certification/Specialized Training:
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of Human Resources and payroll systems.
- Knowledge of payroll tax laws, regulations, principles, and methods.
- Knowledge of research techniques.
- Skill in the use of Microsoft Office to include Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Skill in PeopleSoft or comparable information data base system.
- Ability to analyze, summarize and present complex issues to upper management.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to meet identified deadlines.
- Ability to work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to evaluate and make recommendations to improve operations.
- Skill in data research and analysis.
- Skill in communicating both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to troubleshoot issues and formulate and implement operational improvements.
Physical Requirements (With or Without Accommodations):
- Visual acuity to read information from computer screens, forms and other printed materials and information.
- Able to speak (enunciate) clearly in conversation and general communication.
- Hearing ability for verbal communication/conversation/responses via telephone, telephone systems, and face-to-face interactions.
- Manual dexterity for typing, writing, standing and reaching, flexibility, body movement for bending, crouching, walking, kneeling and prolonged sitting.
- Lifting and moving objects and equipment up to 10 lbs.
- Work is indoors and sedentary and is subject to schedule changes and/or variable work hours.
- There are no harmful environmental conditions present for this job.
- The noise level in this work environment is usually moderate.
To apply, please visit:
As an AA/EEO employer, TCU recruits, hires, and promotes qualified persons in all job classifications without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ethnic origin, disability, genetic information, covered veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.