Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Tenaska Inc.
This position provides first and second level data systems support and implementation of solutions utilizing and interfacing with our data systems, documentation of data systems, and database administration functions for both our first-party and third-party platforms and applications.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist in maintaining 99.99% (4 9s) up-time on Critical data systems (e.g., SQL Server Clusters) through:
- Proper maintenance, patching, and monitoring of our SQL Server instances
- Knowledge, implementation, and troubleshooting of High-Availability methodologies
- Knowledge, implementation, and troubleshooting of Disaster-Recovery methodologies
- First tier troubleshooting of hardware problems on our SQL Server servers. reporting these in a timely manner to our infrastructure team, and working with Infrastructure to ensure non-interruptive solutions
- Maintain 99% (2 9s) up-time on secondary data systems (e.g., Couchbase and development database environments)
- Administer all databases for first-party and third-party platforms and applications, including but not limited to, PowerTools Platform, PowerTools Portal, Analysis, Dundas BI, Team Foundation Services, SOGAS, PowerOptix, SQL Server Reporting Services, D.A.R.T. Data Tool, Market Dashboards, Pricing and Market Data Integrations
- Migrate, archive, and restore data in a secure and resilient manner
- Create reports using Microsoft Report Builder as needed by other business units or external customers
- Monitor access to our various data systems and structures and make adjustments where necessary to suit the business needs while striving to meet a “least-privilege” standard
- Monitor data storage, growth, and performance
- Project future data growth and performance needs and make suggestions for future planning, as needed
- Maintain documentation of all data systems used for first-party and third-party platforms and applications. Coordinate with other Developers, Infrastructure Admins, and Business Users to maintain clear and accurate details in this documentation
- Writing scripts using T-SQl, C#, and PowerShell to facilitate administration and development of our data systems
- Dependable, reliable, and predictable attendance is required
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Computer Information Systems or a related field is preferred, but commiserate experience is acceptable in lieu of such a degree
- At least three years of experience working with data systems is necessary
- Previous experience with VLDB implementations
- Previous experience with an object-oriented programming language
- At least two years of experience working with network systems or information systems is desirable
- Ability to troubleshoot dense, complicated situations to get at the root cause
- Prior experience with large data systems and VLDB implementations is highly valuable and will be utilized on a regular basis
- Ability to perform a myriad of procedures and tasks in a quickly-changing environment with continually changing priorities and resources
- Must be able to adapt to the situation at hand, determine proper and timely solutions to new problems, and implement these solutions in a predictable manner, always keeping the four-sided priorities of data - available, accurate, performant, and secure - in mind
- Ability to interact with various groups within the business to help interpret their needs, design a solution, document the solution, and implement that solution without requiring the business user to have knowledge or understanding of the underlying systems at hand
- Must be familiar with the standard best practices related to data systems design, implementation, and administration and work to determine when deviations from these best standards is required or desired; and ability to continuously learn and enhance knowledge of these practices
- Ability to learn and practice new technologies related to data systems, hardware, data software, storage systems, network systems, and operating systems
- Must work well in a team to dissect a large problem into components and determine where expertise can be plugged-in to help make an over-arching solution as robust as possible
Tenaska is an equal opportunity employer.