The Dallas Morning News
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at The Dallas Morning News
The Dallas Morning News seeks a photo editor to join its award-winning team of visual journalists. The News has one of the largest newsrooms in the Southwest and a rich legacy of award-winning photojournalism, including Pulitzer Prizes, as well as National Headliners and ASNE awards.
The photo editor will join a digital newsroom that is thinking actively and creatively about our future. We seek an editor who will arrive with an abundance of ideas and energy. Additionally, applicants must show a willingness to embrace emerging technologies and experiment with storytelling methods that will continue to keep The News at the forefront of visual storytelling.
The ideal candidate would be a versatile storyteller who can collaborate across the newsroom to conceptualize and produce photography and who has a passion for visual storytelling. Knowledge and understanding of photography and art history is required. Candidates must be able to select compelling images that enrich the storytelling of The Dallas Morning News across all platforms.
The ability to communicate with photographers to offer photo edits and feedback is essential. Applicants must have at least two to six years of experience as a photo editor and a demonstrated versatility for covering breaking news, sports, and features.
Please submit your application by August 23rd.
- Mentor and coach Photographers
- Manage story slugs and add photo details to the story budget tool
- Select the daily and special project images for print and digital platforms
- Work collaboratively with other newsroom departments
- Supply the audience team with curated images for all of our social platforms
- Uphold our high photographic standards and weigh in on journalism ethics whenever complex questions on use and display of images and video arise
Bachelor’s degree in photography, film or photojournalism. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
- Excellent news judgment
- Strong digital proficiency
- Possesses an understanding of the visual aesthetic for selecting the daily and special project images for all platforms
- An ability to work with other departments in the newsroom
- Knowledge and experience using an array of social media channels
- Proficient in Photoshop
- Knowledge of Final Cut or Premiere editing programs
- Demonstrated ability to train, coach and mentor colleagues
- Adept at project management
- Ability to manage multiple initiatives and deadlines
- Ability to coach, train and inspire teams of journalists
- Understanding of digital analytics and strategy