Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Engineering-Structural 3-06 (Stress Analysis Engineer)
at Triumph Group
- Requisition Number
- # of Positions Remaining
- Position Type
- Full time
- Experience (Years)
- Engineering - All
- Security Clearance Required?
Structural analysis engineer experienced with metallic and composite airframe, or related structures. Provides stress analysis support for new product development from conceptual through detail design. Knowledge and experience is required in the following areas, with substantial experience and expertise in many of these areas:
Airframe structural criteria / requirements
- Trade studies
- Design layout development to define structural load paths
- Internal loads development using various approaches including finite element modeling and analysis
- Preliminary and final sizing analysis
- Stress analysis sizing using hand analysis calculation methods
- Concept development for least weight designs
- Stress report preparation
- Stress support for manufacturing and change board
- Stress support for structural test including coupon, design development, component and full-scale static and fatigue, and flight test
- Stress support for damage limits, structural repairs and mods to support repair limits and structural repair manual preparation.
Must be a self-starter with ability to work with little oversight. Must be able to plan and status tasks within constraints imposed by an overall development schedule.
Candidate will be required to support activities in Arlington and Red Oak Texas.
Candidate must have proficiency in extracting internal loads from finite element coarse grid models and applying those loads for use in static strength analysis. Tools utilized may include CATIA, MSC PATRAN / NASTRAN, Hypermesh, Optistruct, TMP SLIM and Vision, and a variety of other software applications related to airframe structural analysis and design. Excel VBA coding experience is desired.
Structural analysis tasks in support of Airframe Structural Test and Certification. Tasks can include:
- Perform stress analysis tasks related to trade studies to determine best design approach to meet airframe design requirements.
- Provide stress analysis support for design layouts, including determination of optimum loads paths, material and hardware selections and least weight / low cost designs.
- Provide stress sizing and analysis for airframe preliminary design.
- Provide sizing updates and final analysis for detail design releases.
- Develop internal loads and loads updates for the above tasks.
- Preparation of test requirements, test plans, test reports, internal loads correlation and other analysis and documentation related to structural testing.
- Communicate with team members effectively.
- Engage integrated project teams to understand customer requirements, composite material capabilities, and participate or lead technology development projects.
- Work across the product life cycle from planning through completion and delivery.
- Evaluate new or novel analysis techniques when current methods lack an accurate basis for analysis.
- Analyze existing processes and make recommendations for improvements.
- Collaborate within the team to generate solutions for complex problems.
- Mentor early career engineers.
- Is a self-starter, and able to develop and execute a plan with little oversight.
- Effectively communicate with team members.
- Provide technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems.
- Work under general direction but independently plan, develop and analyze solutions.
- Stay abreast of composite structural analysis technologies through conferences, forums, and industry engagements.
- Generate patent applications as needed.
The successful candidate will typically have a bachelor’s degree Mechanical, Civil or Aerospace Engineering from an accredited university and a minimum of six years of related experience. Desired candidate will have experience with composites and metals structural analysis. Certification program and/or R&D experience preferable. Thermoplastic material experience a plus. Experience in electromagnetics is a plus. Ability to deal with ambiguity, coordinate and generate plans in a development environment, and changing customer requirements is a plus.