Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Engineering-Structural 5-08 (Stress Analysis Engineer)
at Triumph Group
- Requisition Number
- # of Positions Remaining
- Position Type
- Full time
- Experience (Years)
- Engineering - All
- Security Clearance Required?
Fatigue and Damage Tolerance (F&DT) senior lead engineer experienced with metallic and composite airframe, or related structures. Provides fatigue and damage tolerance analysis support for new product development from conceptual through detail design. Some knowledge and experience is required in the following areas, with substantial experience and expertise in many of these areas:
- Airframe structural criteria / requirements
- Aircraft Fatigue spectrum development
- Aircraft Fatigue analysis and life prediction
- Aircraft damage tolerance analysis and inspection interval calculation using NASGRO or similar tools
- Calculation of stress concentrations using classical and FEA methods
- F&DT report preparation
- F&DT support for manufacturing and change board
- F&DT support for structural test including coupon, design development, component and full-scale static and fatigue, and flight test
- F&DT support for damage limits, structural repairs and mods to support repair limits and structural repair manual preparation.
- Trade studies
- Preliminary and final sizing analysis
- Stress analysis using hand analysis calculation methods
- Concept development for least weight designs
Must be able to lead and/or mentor less experienced engineers. Must be a self-starter with ability to work with little oversight. Must be able to plan and status tasks within constraints imposed by an overall development schedule.
Candidate must have proficiency in extracting internal loads from finite element coarse grid models, and applying those loads for use in F&DT analysis. Tools utilized may include CATIA, MSC PATRAN / NASTRAN, Hypermesh, Optistruct, TMP SLIM and Vision, NASGRO, Mechanica, StressCheck and a variety of other software applications related to airframe structural analysis and design. Excel VBA coding experience is desired.
Structural analysis tasks in support of Airframe Structural Test and Certification. Tasks can include:
• Perform F&DT tasks related to trade studies to determine best design approach to meet airframe design requirements.
• Provide F&DT support for design layouts, including determination of optimum loads paths, material and hardware selections, and least weight / low cost designs.
• Provide F&DT sizing and analysis for airframe preliminary design.
• Provide sizing updates and final analysis for detail design releases.
- Calculate fatigue life and inspection intervals of airframe components
- Prepare F&DT certification reports
- Preparation of test requirements, test plans, test reports, internal loads correlation, and other analysis and documentation related to structural testing
- Communicate with internal and external team members effectively.
- Mentor and lead inexperienced engineers in the above tasks.
- Lead experienced F&DT engineers in the above tasks.
- Regular interface with customer and management to discuss and status tasks being performed
- Project planning as required to ensure tasks are performed to support over Program schedules and milestones
- Provide technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems. Solutions are imaginative, thorough, practicable, and consistent with organization objectives. Works under only general direction. Independently determines and develops approach to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives. Contributes to the completion of specific programs and projects. Failure to obtain results or erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in serious program delays and considerable expenditure of resources. Frequent inter-organizational and outside customer contacts. Represents the organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects.
The successful candidate will typically have a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Civil or Aerospace Engineering from an accredited university or equivalent and a minimum of twenty (20) years of related experience; a master’s degree is preferred. Previous experience with technical leadership positions is required. Candidates who display specialty experience in Composites Analysis or Certification are desired. Previous experience with Triumph’s methods and procedures a plus.