United Surgical Partners International Inc (USPI)
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at United Surgical Partners International Inc (USPI)
Baylor Scott&White Surgical Hospital Las Colinas (BSHLC) is a Joint Commission accredited with 7 OR’s, inpatient surgical beds, Emergency Room and limited Imaging Services. United Surgical Partners International is a company that specializes in the development and operation of Surgical Hospitals and Ambulatory Surgical Facilities in the U.S. and the UK. We provide first-class surgical services for local communities and recognize our employees as our number one assets.
The Business Office is an integral part of the hospital Administrative team. We are recently adding certain functions to business operations, to include Coding, Billing, Collections and Payment Posting positions. These additional positions will enhance a team that is already quite strong, and will assist with appropriate departmental functions in support of the hospital mission, vision and facility goals. All business office employees establish effective working relationships with all constituencies including physicians, patients, family members and co-workers.
Provides support and back up to Business Office Operations, Departmental Director and coworkers by performing duties for Baylor Scott&White Surgical Hospital Las Colinas.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Extensive knowledge of coding requirements for Inpatient, Outpatient and Ancillary Hospital services
- Verifies proper documentation is available and complete for each patient record
- Accurately codes all diagnosis, procedures, complications and co-morbidities accurately using established criteria with available resources both automated and manual based on documentation provided by clinical data and physician documentation
- Communicated with consultants, federal and state organizations to validate coding process and assure compliance to prevent fraud and abuse related to coding and abstracting
- Validates documentation and works with physicians to assure proper coding, educating physicians when needed
- Demonstrates knowledge and remains current with regard to ICD’s and CPT’s and Modifier’s current versions
- Identifies additional charges for Implants and devices, applying appropriate HCPCS code
- Responsible for tight deadlines, and established daily minimum coding requirements met
- Utilizes available automated systems to achieve peak efficiency and accuracy
- Demonstrates expertise in the use of automated systems and any other that may pertain to coding
- Maintains required certification and training in the area of coding and abstracting
- Interacts positively and professionally with physician, patients/family, office staff, external vendors, insurance companies, etc.
- Very organized and can work independently while meeting established deadlines
- Seeks guidance, direction and assistance when needed
- Identifies opportunities to teach co-workers, medical staff and professionals regarding the documentation of medical care which supports accurate coding
- Speaks clearly, concisely and with consideration and respect in group and one-on-one setting. Communication is clear and understandable, presentation is polite, considerate and also listens well
- Understands Managed Care calculators and claims reimbursement expectations
- Thorough knowledge of Managed Care Grid and Medical Policies
- Thorough understanding of strategic outcomes for claims reimbursement
- Proficient with Electronic Medical Record patient accounting system(s)
- Serves as back up for other areas within business office when needed
- Other duties as required
- High school diploma, or equivalent
- Certified Coding status obtained and maintained current status required
- BLS optional
Specific Job Experience
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in medical coding
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work well in excel, 10 key, and data entry.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to understand the need for confidentiality in the work assigned to you.
- Ability to utilize Electronic Heath Care Record system for documentation to patients account/record.