United Surgical Partners International Inc (USPI)
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Medical Laboratory Scientist - PRN
at United Surgical Partners International Inc (USPI)
Job Reference #: 13476
- Under the general direction of the Laboratory Manager and the Lead Technologist, provides superior quality laboratory testing support.
- Complies with the department policies/processes/ procedures to provide accurate results, quality products and services; assures valid results in the pre-analytical, analytical and post-analytical phases of laboratory procedures.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of techniques, principles, and properly operates instruments in assigned area and understands their inter-relationships as well as physiological conditions affecting test results
- Understands the workings of the computer and its limitations with respect to the appearance and content of the final printed report. Realizes when additional supplemental information is necessary.
- Understands and applies sample quality control and equipment quality control per department policy; can correlate data from quality control information to working situations on a daily basis.
- Is a self-starter in identifying and assuming ownership of opportunities for improvement
- Uses knowledge of instrumentation and procedures to assist others in troubleshooting and to cross train.
- Manages daily workload in a productive manner.
- May be required to obtain laboratory specimens by venipuncture and capillary puncture if needed.
- Properly identifies specimens (labeling) and problems with specimen integrity, i.e., contamination and hemolysis. Performs testing in a timely and accurate manner.
- Reviews and approves test reports and quality control results. Reports out-of-control situations as described in departmental protocol to Supervisor.
- Verifies results through knowledge of specimen requirements, quality control and common integrity problems.
- Understands effect of patient demographics and disease stated on laboratory results and follows through appropriately.
- Detects and reports unusual conditions to the Assistant lead technologist, quality coordinator or the laboratory manager.
- Recognizes problems, assumes responsibility for helping to solve problems as they occur. Recognizes when supervisory help is needed in problem solving. Helps to come up with a solution and assists in the implementation of the solution.
- Through own initiative, participates and contributes towards the improvement and goals of the laboratory.
- May be required to set up new test procedures, new equipment, including modifying, designing, and writing new procedures with final approval of Supervisor.
- Complies with departmental specific standard operating procedures and checklists as required for efficient operation of laboratory.
- Is familiar with and abides by safety regulations and is aware of responsibility in the event of fire or disaster.
- Maintains awareness of regulatory standards.
- Bachelor’s degree in a chemical, physical, biological or clinical laboratory/medical technology science with at least one year experience in a hospital laboratory; or Associates degree in a laboratory science or medical laboratory technology program with at least two years experience in a hospital laboratory; or a minimum of 3 years experience in an accredited laboratory.
- Certification by one of the following accrediting agencies: MT (ASCP) or categorical, MT (AMT), MLT (ASCP)
- Ability to detect color and color changes.
- CPR Required
- Knowledge of governmental and regulating policies/ standards.