Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Head Start Substitute Teacher
- Job ID
- 1st Shift
- # of Openings Remaining
The Substitute Teacher directly facilitates classroom activities to ensure all children in that classroom are provided a safe and positive learning environment for the purpose of advancing their physical and cognitive growth and development in accordance to the state Department of Early Education and Care (EEC) regulations, the Head Start performance standards, the Agency’s school readiness goals, and other federal, state, and local regulatory requirements in the absence of the assigned Head Start or Early Head Start Teacher.
- Follow the schedule and curriculum as planned for the assigned classroom as directed
- Ensure all children are properly supervised at all times and take appropriate safety precautions for the well-being of all children as directed
- Ensure all learning activities are facilitated using supporting materials that address the physical, cognitive, social, and emotional needs of the children as directed
- Work in partnership with the Center Manager and/or the teaching team to address problems and/or concerns of children and/or parents/guardians
- Work in partnership with the Center Manager and/or teaching team to include families in the educational process and encourage their participation
- Demonstrate cultural awareness in sensitivity in the interactions with children, parents/guardians, staff, and community members
- Adhere to all Agency and Head Start policies, procedures, and protocol as it relates to the health, safety, nutrition, and well-being of the children and the operation of the program
- Observe and address challenging behaviors to determine possible cause and implement preventive measures, teach a new behavior, and/or communication or social skill to minimize or eliminate the behavior
- Adhere to and follow policies and procedures for inside and outside classroom environments for children to follow
- Maintain classroom management and discipline using developmentally appropriate techniques
- Provide constant supervision of children during indoor and outdoor activities; provide and fosters a safe and secure environment for children indoors and outdoors
- Work closely with the Center Manager to ensure the safety and well-being of children and staff; monitor center environment to ensure the center is safe and free from hazards to the children and staff
- Respond to emergency situations and/or direct to appropriate management team member or program administration for immediate resolution
- Complete and maintain accurate documentation, files, and records as required by the Agency, the Head Start Performance Standards, and any other federal, state, or local regulatory requirements as directed
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
- Work closely with the Center Manager and/or the teaching team to ensure all children are receiving the quality of services needed to meet their individual needs.
- Build and maintain cooperative working relationships with management, program staff, inter-disciplinary teams, volunteers, and community members to ensure the needs of the children and program goals and services are being met at the highest quality level.
- Work as team player and exhibit professional behavior and a positive attitude with both internal and external clients that reflects positively on the Agency and is consistent with Agency policies and practices and code of ethics
- High School diploma or GED equivalent
- Ability to build a positive rapport with children, parents/guardians, and team members
- Basic computer skills with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Demonstrated ability to communicate professionally, interact with all levels of management in a clear and concise manner
- Demonstrated ability to prepare quality well written documents, reports, and correspondence
- Strong time management and organizational skills with the ability to pay close attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and people skills with the ability to work and interact with diverse groups of people
- Ability to work independently and within a team with limited supervision; ability to take initiative
- Associates degree in Education, Early Childhood Education, or closely related field
- 1 year of teaching experience with a Head Start or school readiness program(s)
- Experience with inclusion of children with disabilities
- Knowledge of infant/toddler health and safety licensing requirements
- Bilingual (fluent Spanish written and conversational), highly preferred (based on service area and service population)
Physical Demands & Work Conditions
- This position requires frequent standing, walking, and speaking for long periods of time
- Position works in a facility with and around children on a regular basis
- Lift, push, pull, move up to 50 lbs.
The physical requirements for this position with or without reasonable accommodation are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. While performing this position the employee with or without reasonable accommodation should have the ability to walk, stand, sit, kneel, speak, and hear with aid, see, read, reach with arms and hands, and use equipment that is essential to performing the job, such as a computer, copier, fax machine, telephone, and automobile, if applicable. This position will require bending, kneeling, twisting, and reaching, standing and sitting for long periods of time, frequent walking, and the ability to carry, move, or lift up to 50lbs with or without assistance. This position will be subject to loud noise and working outdoors throughout the year.
The statements herein indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by an employee in this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities of the job and may request the employee to perform other duties and responsibilities not listed at his/her discretion. This job description is not a contract between the employee occupying the position and the employer. Upbring is an at-will employer. Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status