Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Experienced Fire Protection Engineer ? Dallas, TX
at Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, inc.
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc. (WJE) is seeking highly talented Fire Protection Engineers in our Dallas, TX office who want to:
- Join a growing practice
- Work for an independent, employee-owned, and employee-managed firm
- Work in an environment of open communication, continued learning, innovative thinking, and collaboration
- Be measured against the highest standards of technical excellence
- Collaborate with the industry’s most accomplished experts
- Relish the opportunity to solve our clients’ fire protection and life safety objectives and challenges
Our Fire Protection practice is seeking engineers with experience in fire hazards analysis; life safety evaluations; building and fire code analysis; fire detection and suppression system design; and fire modeling, including FDS.
The Fire Protection Engineer (FPE) has responsibilities including: client relationship maintenance, project team management, project safety, and client deliverables. The ideal candidate is a well-rounded professional who is an experienced engineer knowledgeable about fire protection principles, life safety and building codes. The FPE should be able to tackle complex assignments and manage and deliver client work. The FPE should be active in industry organizations; be willing to work in a team environment, and participate in office and company development initiatives.
What you need to qualify
- Degree in fire protection engineering or a related field with 2-10 years of relevant experience and expertise in fire protection and/or code consulting
- Professionally licensed or certified for area of expertise
- An interest in solving complex problems with new and existing structures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills including fire and egress modeling software
- Ability to work in the field and to travel outside local area, depending on practice work load and project locations
How you will contribute
- Serve as the primary client contact for projects as a project manager, establish scopes, budgets and schedules for projects
- Perform complex calculations and analyses of fire protection systems and/or building code issues
- Conduct technical research and provides documentation of alternative methods and equivalencies
- Identify corrective measures, including design solutions
- Prepare reports, drawings, specifications, and other project deliverables and reviews work product of team members
- Travel to project sites to conduct on-site inspections/investigations including survey and documentation of conditions, field testing, sampling, photographing, and sketching
- Active participation in professional organizations, author papers and presentations, attend conferences, and perform work on technical committees
- Mentor junior staff
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position requires visual acuity and listening ability. Individuals must have the dexterity to be able to operate office and field equipment such as computer, printer, fax, copier, telephone, voice mail system, and other office and field equipment.
Requirements may also include:
- Ability to attend meetings at various office, field, and construction sites
- Ability to perform inspections of buildings and other structures, both visually and with instruments
- Ability to lift and carry materials and equipment up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to perform work in the outdoors
- Ability to read construction drawings, diagrams, printed materials and computer screens
- Ability to record data clearly and write passages for reports, letters, etc.
- Ability to travel
- Ability to safely work at heights
- Ability to safely use and/or operate ladders, scaffolds, lifts and other access equipment
- Ability to understand and appreciate safety training specific to numerous workplace and construction hazards
- Ability to safely work in a variety of occupationally hazardous locations
- Medically fit to utilize respiratory protection devices and other forms of Personal Protective Equipment
- Ability to drive and safely operate a motor vehicle
WJE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite all qualified applicants to apply including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans (VEVRAA federal contractor).
WJE will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Fair Chance Ordinances.